ABSA Network introduces the first-ever awards for Shia student/youth organizations in North American campuses. As the parent organization of North American student groups who follow the Ahlul-Bayt (peace be upon them), ABSA Network seeks to recognize organizations who have demonstrated exceptional commitment to excellence in Muslim community service, Islamic activities on campuses, and significant progress. The ABSA Network Organization Awards are distributed in the following categories: Most Active Chapter, Most Successful New Organization (initiated within past 2 years), and Most Creative Chapter.
All top three student organizations receive an award plaque.
- Most Active Organization of the Year (MAO): $2000
- Most Successful New Organization (initiated within past 2 years) (MSO): $2000
- Most Creative Organization of the Year (MCO): $2000
December 25th, 2020January 3rd, 2021: Deadline for nominating other student organization. ABSA Network will invite the nominated organization to fill out the self-nomination application. January 3rd, 2021 January 10th, 2021January 17th, 2021: Applications deadline
- January 23rd, 2021: Organizations will participate in ABSA Expo 2021
- January 23rd, 2021: In ABSA Expo 2021, audience will vote for each category.
- January 23rd, 2021: Announcing the winners of each category in the closing session of ABSA Expo 2021.
The selection process is composed of three parts.
Nominations: Organizations may nominate themselves or be nominated by others. ABSA Network will subsequently invite all nominated chapters to submit an application.
Committee Selections: Applications will be reviewed by a panel of Islamic Scholars and faculty members in US and Canadian Universities. Each member of the selection committee will rank each application independently using a standard form. The selection committee will determine the winners of the Most Active Organization, Most Successful Organization, Most Creative Organization awards.
ABSA Expo 2021: The student organizations must participate in ABSA Expo 2021 and present their activities in the poster session. They may create an original promotional document/video about their qualifications, which will be posted on the ABSA Network social media accounts and can be shown in their booth.
Student organizations who win the highest committee vote and public vote in ABSA Expo 2021 will be the recipient of the “Organization of the Year” award for each category.
- Evidence of commitment to excellence in Muslim community service and Islamic activities on campuses (video recordings of events, flyers, fundraising statistics towards a charitable cause, etc.).
- Evidence of significant organizational progress and achievement.
- [Required] An essay statement describing the nominated organization’s commitment to excellence in Muslim community service, Islamic activities on campuses, achievements in the last year, and their plan for the next year.
- [Required] Supporting evidence of the organization’s contributions to Muslim community service and Islamic activities on campuses, including, but not limited to, video clips, pictures, posters, and media.
- [Optional but strongly recommended] Three letters of recommendation from Islamic scholars, faculty members, presidents of other community organizations, or any other recognizable person. The letters should specifically comment on the nominated organization’s influence on the Muslim community, the campus-bases Islamic activities in which they have engaged, and their progress in the last year.
Eligibility of Nominees: Shia Student organizations at accredited colleges or universities in North America.
Possible Nominators: Islamic scholar, faculty, and undergraduate or graduate members of the respective organization.
The names of nominated chapters and the materials must be received by the deadlines listed above. NO EXCEPTIONS.
All submitted materials will need to be in PDF format - NO EXCEPTIONS.
All of the files that are sent should be formatted using a consistent format. The following structure for the file names is requested:
Incomplete or incorrectly formatted applications will NOT be considered.
If you are part of an organization and want to apply for the Organization of the Year award on behalf of your organization, this form is for you.
This form was due on January 17th, 2021.
If you want to nominate a student organization who deserves the award, this for is for you.
This form was due on January 3rd, 2021.